Dishwasher Detergents – 2014 Ratings
Posted by Canstar Blue May 22nd 2014
You are viewing the archived 2014 ratings for dishwasher detergent. Go to the current detergent ratings.
* Overall satisfaction is an individual rating and not a combined total of all ratings. Brands with equal overall satisfaction ratings are listed in alphabetical order.
Nearly 1 in 2 willing to pay premium for environmentally friendly detergent
Many Australians endeavour to be environmentally conscious, and this shows when they do their weekly shop. For example, roughly 46% of our recent survey respondents consider the environment when deciding which dishwasher detergent to buy.
Additionally, close to half are prepared to pay a slight premium for a detergent product that’s environmentally friendly. An even greater percentage (67%) believe these kinds of products make a real difference to the environment, and close to a third think that environmentally friendly detergents work better than conventional brands.
All this said, there are many ways that you can be green in the kitchen, no matter which detergent you buy.
- Purchase cleaning products in bulk to save money and help alleviate the amount of waste produced from packaging (thanks LivingGreener.gov.au for pointing this out).
- Don’t run your dishwasher unless it is completely full, a technique utilised by 81% of respondents to our dishwasher customer satisfaction survey.
- Rinse particularly stubborn stains before running them through a wash, to ensure you don’t need to do another cycle later.
- Buy sustainable, reusable cleaning utensils for in-the-sink cleaning, so you don’t need to constantly stock up on sponges and other items.
- Recycle detergent packaging, as per instructions written by the manufacturer.
Fairy shine in our latest comparison of dishwasher detergents
We also rated dishwasher detergent brands, to determine which product will best suit your cleaning needs. For the second year in a row, customers who purchase a Fairy detergent product were most satisfied with their choice in cleaning agent, which secured the brand our award for 2014.
Also compared were Earth Choice, Morning Fresh, Finish, and Coles, Woolworths, and ALDI Brand detergents. Let’s take a look at where some of these brands did well in our results:
- Fairy earned five star ratings for overall satisfaction, cleaning effectiveness, and smell.
- Earth Choice received our top rating for environmental friendliness, and
- ALDI Brands achieved five stars for value for money.
The full results can be found below.
Overall customer satisfaction
Fairy customers were most satisfied overall with their dishwasher detergent of choice, which is why this brand secured the top rating in this category. Next with four stars each were ALDI Brands, Earth Choice, Morning Fresh, and Finish; Coles and Woolworths Brands were not far behind with three.
Value for money
ALDI Brands were frontrunners for dishwasher detergent value for money. The well-regarded supermarket brand received five stars in this area, and were followed by four star achievers Earth Choice, Fairy, Woolworths Brands, and Morning Fresh. Both Finish and Coles Brands received three stars for detergent value.
In conjunction with having a fantastic dishwasher to attack tough stains, you’ll also need to find a detergent brand that’s able to finish the job. Fairy received five stars for effectiveness, and was followed by Finish, ALDI Brands, Morning Fresh, and Earth Choice with four stars each. Supermarket giants – Woolworths and Coles Brands – both received three stars for effectiveness.
Many consumers value products that are kind to the environment. To that end, customers of Earth Choice were most satisfied with how environmentally friendly their dishwasher detergent was. Following our five star achiever were four star recipients Fairy and Morning Fresh, then three star recipients Finish, ALDI and Woolworths Brands. Finally, Coles Brands secured two stars for its detergents’ environmental friendliness.
Fairy secured a final five star rating, this one for the smell of its detergent products and the clean dishes it produced. Earth Choice, Morning Fresh, ALDI Brands, and Finish all received four stars, and Coles and Woolworths Brands both finished with three.
How we rated dishwasher detergents
This survey concerns detergents used in a dishwasher only, not any used for washing dishes by hand in the sink. We have rated those products in a different survey.
Canstar Blue commissions Colmar Brunton to regularly survey 2,500 Australian consumers across a range of categories to measure and track customer satisfaction. The outcomes reported are the results from customers within the survey group who have bought and used detergent (tablets, liquid / gel or powder) for their dishwasher in the last six months– in this case, 1,336 consumers.
Brands must have received at least 30 responses to be included. Results are comparative and it should be noted that brands receiving three stars have still achieved a satisfaction measure of at least six out of 10.