Red Energy Review
Electricity and gas retailer Red Energy arrived in the Victorian energy market in 2004 to “shake things up”, describing itself as “not your normal energy company”.
Based in Melbourne, Red Energy is 100 per cent Australian-owned by Snowy Hydro – an electricity generation company which owns and operates the Snowy Mountains Hydro-electric Scheme.
Having started out supplying electricity to Victorian households, Red Energy now also operates in New South Wales and South Australia, while also supplying gas in Victoria and in the Jemena Gas Network area in New South Wales.
Lumo Energy is also owned by Snowy Hydro, but customers in New South Wales are being transferred over to the Red Energy brand.
What’s on offer from Red Energy?
Red Energy’s product suite encompasses a number of different offerings, with “Pay on Time” discounts offered to customers across its range of electricity and gas plans. While Red Energy’s discounts may not stand out as much as those from some other providers, they are usually available on two-year fixed terms, meaning they could work out better value in the long-run compared to a higher discount over just 12 months.
Energy plans vary across the states, but include the following:
- Living Energy Saver: a variable rate plan offering customers a 10% discounts off their entire bill when they pay on time. It also comes with access to Red Energy’s rewards program. Depending on your location, this plan could be available with no fixed term, or on a two-year contract
- Easy Saver: a no contract variable rate offer in NSW, with the same 10% pay on time discount as the Living Energy Saver plan. However, it does not offer access to Red Energy’s rewards program
- No Exit Fee Saver: available in South Australia only, this variable rate Red Energy plan comes with no contract term, no exit fees and a 3% pay on time discount
Red Energy additionally offers a 100 per cent accredited GreenPower product for New South Wales and Victorian residents. This is a voluntary government accredited program that enables an electricity provider to purchase renewable energy on a household’s behalf.
“GreenPower is renewable energy sourced from the sun, the wind, water and waste,” Red Energy advises via its website. “Choosing GreenPower for your home or business will help reduce your greenhouse gas emissions. This will vary according to the type of GreenPower you choose.”
In addition to its electricity and gas offerings, Red Energy offers customers a number of solar and battery products, helping to generate and store energy, reducing reliance on the grid. It’s for these reasons that Red Energy performed well in the latest Green Electricity Guide from Greenpeace Australia and the Total Environment Centre.
Red Energy rewards
Red Energy additionally runs its Red Energy Rewards program in New South Wales and Victoria, via which customers can claim discounts across a range of products and services. This could mean cheaper movie or theme park tickets, or discounts at a number of different retailers. With Red Energy Rewards membership, could also benefit from:
- 50% off your next hotel stay
- 20% off dinning at selected restaurants
- Discounted gift cards from Woolworths, Big W, Caltex, Dan Murphy’s, David Jones. iTunes and others
- Reduced prices on magazine subscriptions, floral arrangements, gift baskets, travel insurance and even dry cleaning
Members are also advised to regularly check the Red Energy website for details of new offers.
When it comes to billing and payment options, Red Energy customers have the choice of paying online, by direct debit, via BPay, by phone, cheque through the mail, and in person at Australia Post offices.
EvenPay, meanwhile, allows customers to spread their bills out over time, instead of paying larger amounts at less frequent intervals, paying the same amount in more frequent, smaller increments. It is designed to help make paying bills more manageable, providing a choice of weekly, fortnightly or monthly direct debit payment options.