Want to give your laundry some more love and cuddles? Compare brands of fabric softener with our customer ratings.
* Overall satisfaction is an individual rating and not a combined total of all ratings. Brands with equal overall satisfaction ratings are listed in alphabetical order.
Canstar Blue research finalised in July 2016 and published in September 2016.
Fluffy, Huggie, Comfort, Cuddly – it sounds like the cast of a children’s TV show. But in fact, these are some of the biggest brands of fabric softener you’ll find in Australian stores. They may not be for everyone, but fabric softeners are a great way to keep your clothes and other fabrics smelling and feeling their very best. It comes at a cost, but how much would you be willing to pay for super-soften laundry results?
Australian consumers are sold on the idea. To produce this year’s customer satisfaction ratings, we surveyed more than 1,300 laundry-doers across the country, and 73% of them said they are convinced fabric softener produces better washing results. To be fair, you have to wonder what the other 27% are doing buying fabric softener in the first place if they’re not sure of the benefits.
Anyway, more than half of these people (54%) use their fabric softener with every single wash. However, we Aussies are more than happy to try new brands if we’re not completely satisfied. The survey found that just 44% of us always use the same brand of fabric softener, with 49% admitting to buying whichever one happens to be the cheapest or on special when they go shopping.
It seems all of those brands on the supermarket shelves are getting a fair go – and that’s good. We’ve given them a fair go, too – inviting consumers to give their opinions on the brand they most recently purchased and used. However, the results have largely remained the same as last year, with ALDI Anco the only brand to achieve five stars for overall clothes-hugging satisfaction.
ALDI has proved hugely successful in the laundry room, also taking out our awards for laundry powders and laundry liquids in recent times. It seems the discount supermarket chain has struck a winning balance between price and quality, with its fabric softener scoring five stars in every area this year – softness of clothes, smell, packaging design and value for money.
Credit is also due to Cuddly, Fluffy, Comfort and Huggie for recording at least one top rating. The results for Earth Choice, plus the other supermarkets – Coles and Woolworths – were not quite so good.
What do you really want from fabric softener? The clue is in the name really – it’s all about delivering comfortable, soft-feeling clothes and other fabrics. Washing without it can often leave your clothes feeling a bit… meh! The drivers of satisfaction for fabric softeners are as follows:
This would appear to explain why ALDI Anco performs so well. Consumers want great results from their fabric softener, but they also want to know they’re getting value for money. Four brands scored top marks in regards to leaving clothes feeling all soft and lovely, but only ALDI added a five star rating for value, too.
Canstar Blue commissioned Colmar Brunton to survey 3,000 Australian adults across a range of categories to measure and track customer satisfaction. The outcomes reported are the results from customers within the survey group who have bought and used fabric softener in the last three months – in this case, 1,374 people.
Brands must have received at least 30 responses to be included. Results are comparative and it should be noted that brands receiving three stars have still achieved a satisfaction measure of at least six out of 10. Not all brands available in the market have been compared in this survey. The ratings table is first sorted by star ratings and then alphabetically. A rated brand may receive a ‘N/A’ (Not Applicable) rating if it does not receive the minimum number of responses for that criteria.
Fabric Softener Reviews - September 15th
They make your clothes soft, but what’s actually in fabric softener and how do the ingredients work?– Read more