Consumers urged to stop using kettle over scalding fears

Advertisement

American appliance brand KitchenAid has announced a recall of one of its products, citing potential burn risks to consumers.

The brand’s 1.7L stainless steel electric kettle, which retailed at over $200AUD, has been recalled over concerns about the product’s safety, with fears that the handle could detach from the rest of the kettle.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has warned that households should stop using the kettle immediately, with concerns that users could be scalded by boiling water.

Manufactured in China, the kettle has been on sale at several Australian stores, including Myer, David Jones, Bing Lee and The Good Guys. The models affected have serial numbers beginning with YA342XXXXX through to YA724XXXXX. The kettle was on sale between November 2013 and February 2018.

Consumers who have registered their kettle will be contacted, while others should contact 1800 986 190 or visit this website.

Why you need to check for product recalls

The KitchenAid kettle becomes the fourth kitchenware product to be recalled by the ACCC in 2018, with consumers once again being urged to take caution when purchasing and using electrical appliances, and to ensure that products arrive correctly packaged.

Other recent, high-profile, recalls of household appliances in Australia include the Kambrook Essentials Microwave, which was found to be a fire risk due to potential component failure, and Samsung top load washing machines, also thought to be a fire risk.

See the ACCC website for details of all ongoing and historical product recalls.

Share this article

Advertisement