Dishwashers are fantastic – at least according to this author. In fact, 48% of respondents in Canstar Blue’s most recent dishwasher survey don’t consider a dishwasher to be a luxury item.
Here’s a question for you though: If you dishwasher is as essential as you say, how well do you maintain it?
Below we have listed the main dishwasher maintenance components recommended by Canstar Blue’s 2014 winning brand Miele. Have a read and consider how many you comply with.
- Ensure that at least once each month you run a cycle at the maximum temperature (generally 75 degrees). This will help to prevent the build-up of nasty smells.
- Regularly clean the door seal with a damp cloth to remove any food or liquid.
- When loading the dishwasher, be aware of any food or liquid that drips onto the sides of the dishwasher door. Wipe these off before closing the door.
- Check the filter combination in the floor of your dishwasher. This should be checked after every 30-50 cycles and the filters should be rinsed under running water.
- Particles of food can also get trapped in the spray arms of the dishwasher, so you should remove and clean the spray arms every 4-6 months.
- Ideally rinse all dishes before you stack them into the dishwasher. This will help prevent filter and spray arm clogging, as well as reduce the risk of smells.
What’s your verdict? If you managed to achieve a score greater than one out of six, you are doing better than this Canstar Blue team member (ahem). If you’d prefer not to be up for the cost of replacing your dishwasher in the near future though – and in our survey 12% of respondents who had replaced their dishwasher recently had done so because it stopped cleaning effectively – a perfect score might be better to aim for.
If a notoriously messy member of your family could use some help learning how to properly stack your dishwasher, show them this funny YouTube video.