You could leave it as a job for the various products that clean the toilet as you flush, or you could give it a proper clean to make the toilet nicer for your guests, family, and yourself. We recommend the latter!
Aussies aim to impress
Products to use
For the external parts of the toilet, use a multipurpose cleaning spray; this is generally your ‘spray and wipe’ type products, the same that you would use on the kitchen bench.
For the bowl, use the toilet brush and either a disinfectant or a specific toilet cleaner. You can use a sponge to clean the external parts, but a paper towel is better as it is disposable and absorbent.
For more stubborn stains, bleach can be used, but it is important that bleach is not mixed with acidic products. Always follow the instructions when using cleaning chemicals.
Wear gloves if you are conscious about hygiene, and always wash your hands thoroughly when you are finished cleaning the toilet.
How to use them
- Apply toilet cleaner or disinfectant to the edges of the bowl, making sure to get it under the rim.
- As the liquid drips down, scrub with the toilet brush. Ensure to follow the directions on the packaging of the chemicals. For tough stains, leave the liquid to sit for a few minutes before scrubbing.
- Flush the toilet and check the cleanliness of the bowl. If you’re not satisfied, repeat the bowl cleaning process.
- Spray the underside of the seat with multipurpose cleaning spray; wipe down and dispose of paper towel.
- Spray the top of the seat and underside of the lid with multipurpose spray; wipe clean with paper towel and dispose.
- With the lid down, spray the whole outside of the toilet with multipurpose cleaning spray and then wipe clean with paper towel. Dispose of that paper towel.
- Ensure that any paper towel is disposed of, and wash your hands when you are finished.
You can use bleach on the toilet bowl, but wear gloves for your own safety, and do not mix it with acidic cleaning products.
Ensuring that the flushing button or handle is clean is important, as it can become a breeding ground for bacteria. Clean it well so bacteria isn’t transported from the toilet to anywhere else you go.
Some people are extra germ-conscious and will clean the floor around the toilet. However, using a steam mop works equally well, as the hot steam kills any bacteria and leave the floor sparkling.