Watch out, YouTube. Facebook has become the new home of cat and viral motivational videos. But unlike the download features available from the YouTube Premium subscription service, Facebook doesn’t officially allow you to download videos straight from the social platform. This can be a little inconvenient for times when you’re just itching to share a post, but know you’re not going to have internet access for a while. But there are ways to get around this.
You can pre-prepare the video by taking advantage of the Wi-Fi at home and downloading the clip from Facebook. A number of ways to download videos from Facebook onto your computer or phone include:
- Facebook Save feature
- Google extensions
- Video converter website
Does Facebook offer a way to save videos and watch them later?
Sometimes there are videos you just have to share, or want to rewatch again and again over time. Facebook has a ‘Save’ feature which allows you to save posts and do exactly that. But this requires Internet access, which unfortunately isn’t always available. Here’s how to save videos and view them later:
- Tap on the three dots in the corner of the Facebook post.
- Select ‘Save video’ to add it to your saved items.
- You can access your saved items by going to your Facebook feed. Scroll down the list of shortcuts located on the side of the screen and select the Saved icon under the Explore tab.
- If you want to remove a video from your saved items, go to the post with the video and click on the button with the three dots. Select Unsave.
How to download Facebook videos using Google Chrome extensions
Google Chrome offers a variety of applications you can install onto your browser. The customisations are designed to create extra functionality, as well as integrate with third party websites or services. Extensions like Video Downloader for Facebook and SaveAs Video Downloader Online allow you to download videos directly from the video itself. There is no need to copy and paste a link into a video converter website.
- Go to the Chrome Web Store. This can be accessed from your desktop via the Google apps icon on the homepage. Android users can similarly check out the options on Google Play, while iPhone users can visit the Apple app store.
- Use the search bar to find the right extension for you. User ratings and information about the number of people who use the plug-in appear at the top of the page.
- Select the application you want to install and click Add to Chrome. Note that some extensions require permissions or access to data.
- Click the download button made available by the extension. This will typically appear somewhere on the screen when you’re watching Facebook videos. Once saved, you can find the file in your downloads folder.
Can I convert a Facebook video into an mp4 file?
If you don’t want to install Chrome extensions, the other alternative is to convert the video yourself. A quick Internet search can help you find a bunch of video converter websites designed to transform URL links into files.
- Once you log into Facebook, go to the Facebook Watch page tab located under the News Feed shortcut on the top left hand side.
- Scroll through the page for recommended videos, or look for specific videos by using the search bar. The search option breaks down the results into categories, including trending videos and videos from your own circle of Facebook friends.
- Tap on the three dots below the video. This is otherwise known as the Settings icon. Choose ‘copy link’.
- Paste the URL link on one of several video converter websites online.
Can I download a Facebook Live video?
The popular social media platform previously allowed users to download Facebook Live videos straight from its website. But this feature is now no longer available.
Once a broadcast has ended, the Live video will appear on the host’s page or profile. There is no specific time period that the video can stay up for, so you can watch and rewatch whenever you want. If it stops appearing on the page, it’s likely that the poster has removed it.