Aussie Disney fans rejoice — Disney+ is finally here! It’s been a long time coming, but after months of news and content announcements, the wait is over.
While Disney Plus has been available in the US, and Canada for around a week (and for a couple of months in The Netherlands), Disney fans in Australia and New Zealand had to wait a little while longer to access the highly-anticipated streaming service. Spare a thought for the rest of the world though — the roll out in other countries will take a lot longer. But it’s a rare treat for something so big to choose Australia as one of the first countries to launch in.
If you’re still unsure about what Disney+ is, here’s a brief overview:
- Disney+ is Disney’s own streaming service, home of many Disney classics from the ‘vault’, along with Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars and National Geographic
- New and original content available at launch — many more titles to be released in the next couple of years
- Fox content (which is now owned by Disney), such as The Simpsons, will be available too
- There is only one plan — pay either $8.99 per month or $89.99 for a year subscription (with a 16.6% saving on the yearly subscription)
- Stream on up to four screens at once
- Add up to seven profiles on the one subscription, including a Kid’s profile
- Family-friendly content
- Unlimited downloading of shows and movies so you can watch on the go — only available on applicable titles
- Stream the Disney+ app on a range of devices both at home and on the go
For more details on features and content, you can check out our Disney+ guide.
Signing up for a Disney+ account
When you sign up you’ll be able to start a 7-day free trial, then select your subscription type — month-to-month or one year. While the one-year subscription price might seem like a lot to pay upfront at $89.99, you’ll stand to save around 16.6% per month compared to the monthly subscription price at $8.99 per month.
|Brand||Subscription Type||No. of Screens/same time viewing||Advertised Cost^^/month or year|
Disney+ Monthly Subscription
min. cost $8.99 over one month
Disney+ Yearly Subscription
min. cost $89.99 over one year
|^^View important information|
If you sign up via the app on your phone or tablet device, your payment information will be linked to your iTunes or Google Play account. Signing up via your web browser will allow you to select your payment information.
How to use the Disney+ app
The Disney+ app is available to download on Apple and Android devices. This means you can enjoy Disney+ on the go on your iPhone, Samsung Galaxy phone or other Android-compatible phone, along with iOS and Android-compatible tables.
You’ll also be able to access the Disney+ app on a range of Smart TVs including Samsung Tizen Smart TVs, LG WebOS Smart TVs and Android TV devices. The app is also available on set-top boxes and game consoles which you can download for free to your device. Another way to stream the Disney+ app to your TV is through Apple AirPlay, Chromebook and Chromecast.
Here are some of the features you can expect with your Disney+ subscription:
|4K Ultra HD available|
|Video downloading available|
|No. of screens you can watch on at the same time||4|
|No. of profiles you can create||7|
The Disney+ library
Disney+ is a platform designed with families in mind, so you can expect a lot of kid-friendly content under the Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel and National Geographic umbrellas, along with content from the Fox library.
There are collections to browse and even a ‘Disney Through the Decades’ section, which sorts much of the content into the decades, starting at the 1920s/1930s through to the 2010s. This means you’ll be able to watch many of the classics like Mickey’s Steamboat Willie and Lonesome Ghost animations, some of early content that started the success of the Disney brand.