Households in Western Australia could now save as much as 40% off their natural gas usage charges, with energy giant AGL taking the state’s discounting price war to an unprecedented level.
Customers who sign up to AGL’s Set and Forget plan will get 40% off their gas usage charges provided they agree to direct debit billing, with the discount applying for 24 months after signing up.
It means AGL now outbids Alinta Energy, Origin Energy, Kleenheat and Simply Energy who all offer discounts of up to 35%.
Canstar Blue Editor-in-Chief, Simon Downes, said: “It’s hard to imagine gas discounts getting much bigger than this, but competition in the WA gas market is so fierce you wouldn’t rule anything out. The pressure is certainly on those other retailers to at least match what AGL is offering, otherwise many gas customers in WA will simply be drawn to the biggest discounts.
“As there is a regulated price cap on WA gas prices, discounts really can make a difference when it comes to overall dollar and cent savings. Though of course, customers should also give consideration to the various other sign-up incentives being offered in addition to those big discounts, as well as customer service.
“The difference in prices on these big discount plans can be quite modest, so it also pays to find a retailer that provides great customer service and support when you need it.
“A lot has changed in the WA gas market in the last couple of years and the important thing is that consumers become engaged with it, regularly compare offers, and consider switching if the service they receive is not up to scratch, or there are savings to be had with another provider.”
The big discount offers
Here is a list of the biggest discount residential gas plans available to WA households at the time of publication:
- AGL Set and Forget: This plan has a 40% discount off gas usage charges for 24 months. The discount is conditional on paying by direct debit. The plan also includes access to AGL Rewards and customers can collect flybuys points on their bills, in addition to earning 10,000 for signing up online.
- Origin Maximiser: This plan comes with a 35% discount off gas usage charges for customers who set up eBilling and pay by direct debit.
- Alinta Energy Fair Go 35: Offering a 35% discount off usage charges, the Fair Go 35 comes with a 12-month benefit period, as well as flexible payment options. It also provides access to Alinta Energy Rewards.
- Kleenheat Monthly Energiser: This plan has a discount off 35% off gas usage charges for the first 12 months. Customers must pay by direct debit, with monthly email billing.
- Simply Plus: On this plan, customers receive 35% off gas usage charges when they pay their bills on time. In addition, the plan also offers $50 welcome credit.
Find out which WA gas supplier is best-rated by consumers with Canstar Blue’s latest customer review and ratings report.