Canstar Blue’s Editorial Code
Posted by Simon Downes July 16th 2019
The Canstar Blue website is a place for reliable, balanced and factually-accurate consumer content. See here for a list of our authors.
General Editorial Standards
Canstar Blue’s editorial strategy is to put the consumer first. To this end:
- We are, first and foremost, on the side of consumers trying to make better informed purchase decisions.
- We do this through our comprehensive ratings reports, how to guides, model and brand specific content, and more.
- Our purpose is to inform and educate, then provide a path to purchase if desired.
- We only use reputable sources of information. Sourced information and images will come from official sources where possible.
- If in any doubt about the reliability or accuracy of information, we seek further guidance before publishing.
- It is not our place to give opinions, but we may suggest that something looks reasonable and likewise suggest that other options may be worth considering.
- Content that references prices will have a clear date stamp.
- We endeavour to ensure that content that references prices will be reviewed and updated accordingly, with the date of the update clearly stated, when we are made aware of price changes.
- We endeavour to ensure that all content on our site is balanced, providing pros and cons where applicable.
- Whilst we do feature content from brands and clients, we do not publish suggested content from brands or clients verbatim.
- We may challenge any brand’s claims that we are not reasonably satisfied with.
- Editorial decisions are made independently by the editorial team and are not influenced by commercial relationships.
- Brands are welcome to provide feedback on any factual inaccuracies and raise concerns with the perceived tone or balance of a piece of content, but the editorial team reserves its right with respect to how it may handle this feedback.
News Content on Canstar Blue
- Editorial decisions on what does and does not constitute news content are made independently by the editorial team and are not influenced by commercial relationships.
- Editorial decisions relating to news content are made based on putting the consumer (and their right to know about the news) first.
- We only use reputable sources of information and contacts for news content.
- News content must remain balanced and any companies referenced negatively are given a right of reply (comments provided to other news sites may be used).
Our content writers and contributors
Canstar Blue has a talented in-house team of content producers and journalists, as well as some external contributors who are specialists in their respective fields. Like anyone else, these people have their own personal opinions on the topical issues of the day, but we aim to ensure these views are not expressed on the Canstar Blue website. Any opinions published on other channels or personal platforms are not the views of Canstar Blue.
Does Canstar Blue provide backlinks on request?
Canstar Blue’s editorial team receives many requests for backlinks. As a general rule, we do not provide backlinks on request, however we may assess individual requests on their own merit. A website may be considered for a backlink if:
- It has provided particularly helpful information to inform our content
- It offers Canstar Blue readers additional and valuable information on a subject not already covered within our own content
- The website provides helpful resources to assist consumers in need of support, including contact details and scam warnings etc
Please note that Canstar Blue has several affiliate partners across our energy, internet, phone, appliance and other verticals. In this case, backlinks are part of negotiated commercial agreements and are separate to the type of request noted above. See our FAQ section for further details.