Koala Mattresses Review & Guide
Does your bed make sleeping feel like a nightmare? Named after Australia’s iconic sleepy marsupial, mattress brand Koala has taken a convenient and environmentally friendly approach to helping you achieve a better night’s rest.
Koala sprung into action with just a single bed-in-a-box in 2015, called the Koala Mattress. It even became a social media hit when the brand released a video showcasing its zero partner disturbance feature, which saw the mattress maintain a perfect bounce when jumped and no red wine spilled when a glass is placed on the bed. Koala has since branched out to sell a variety of bed frames, bed linen, pillows, and other homewares.
Koala currently offers three mattress collections: the New Koala Mattress, the New Koala Calm As Mattress and the New Koala Soul Mate Mattress. These are available from $780 up to $2,950, depending on the size and mattress range. Sizes include single, king single, double queen, and king.
What’s special about Koala mattresses?
There are a few features that make Koala’s mattresses stand out, with some common ones being:
- Double-sided comfort layer: provides either a medium-firm or firm feel, depending on which side the mattress is flipped onto
- Anti-slip bottom: prevents the mattress from slipping off the bed base
- Zero disturbance: minimises the amount of movement the mattress makes when one person moves or gets out of bed if used with a compatible bed base
- Antibacterial treatment: mattress is treated with antimicrobial additives to help inhibit the growth of dust mites and other tiny critters
- GECA (Good Environmental Choice Australia) certified: The GECA label is given to products with ‘high environmental credentials’ and which ‘represent environmentally preferable options in the marketplace’.
The online brand offers free express shipping nationwide, with customers in some metro areas eligible to receive the mattress within four hours. If you live in Melbourne or Sydney, you might also be able to make a booking with Soft Landing to have your old mattress removed and recycled for you.
If you’re unsure whether a Koala mattress will be your perfect match, the 120-night trial lets you try the product and return it for a full refund if it’s not right for you. However, you must use the mattress for a minimum of seven days and cannot return it until a week after purchase. Koala mattresses also come with a 10-year warranty.
Koala Mattress Range
Koala lists several mattresses in a variety of sizes and price points. Here’s a rundown of what to expect:
The New Koala Mattress
The brand’s original bed-in-a-box recently received a makeover and was aptly renamed the New Koala Mattress. It’s the most affordable range from Koala’s line-up and is said to now provide a firmer support base to prevent your body from sinking in the mattress and help maintain a healthy sleeping posture. It also offers three zones of support and features TENCEL Lyocell fibre, which encourages breathability by absorbing and releasing moisture.
The New Koala Mattress is available in:
- The New Koala Mattress ─ Single (188cm x 82cm x 25cm): $780 RRP*
- The New Koala Mattress ─ King Single (203cm x 107cm x 25cm) : $950 RRP*
- The New Koala Mattress ─ Double (188cm x 138cm x 25cm): $1,000 RRP*
- The New Koala Mattress ─ Queen (203cm x 153m x 25cm): $1,050 RRP*
- The New Koala Mattress ─ King (203cm x 183cm x 25cm): $1,250 RRP*
The New Koala Calm As Mattress
While Australia is popular for its warm weather, the same can’t be said when summer nights get a little too hot to handle. Koala aims to help households have a cool head by using COOLMAX fibre in the New Koala Calm As Mattress, which is claimed to contain moisture-wicking technology that improves the fabric’s drying rate. The mattress also uses a bamboo charcoal memory foam, which is stated to be antimicrobial and useful in relieving pressure, encouraging airflow, and maintaining a cool body temperature. There’s additionally a 7cm comfort layer and quilted cover on top (pictured), similar to other Koala mattresses.
Different versions of the New Koala Calm As Mattress include:
- The New Koala Calm As Mattress ─ Single (188cm x 92cm x 29cm): $980 RRP*
- The New Koala Calm As Mattress ─ King Single (203cm x 107cm x 29cm): $1,080 RRP*
- The New Koala Calm As Mattress ─ Double (188cm x 138cm x 29cm): $1,350 RRP*
- The New Koala Calm As Mattress ─ Queen (203cm x 153cm x 29cm): $1,650 RRP*
- The New Koala Calm As Mattress ─ Single (203cm x 183cm x 29cm): $1,950 RRP*
The New Koala Soul Mate Mattress
The New Koala Soul Mate Mattress is the brand’s most expensive range and sits towards the higher end when compared to some other major brands. It’s a hybrid of the two other mattresses from the brand, but this time contains five Zoned Adaptive Foam Springs for support as well as Sensapole technology to regulate body temperature via the 9cm comfort layer and 2cm quilted cover. There’s also a bamboo charcoal transition layer sandwiched inside, plus StayPut Edge Support to stop you or your partner from sliding off the bed, and Koala’s zero disturbance feature.
The New Koala Soul Mate is available in:
- The New Koala Soul Mate Mattress ─ Double (188cm x 138cm x 33cm): $2,350 RRP*
- The New Koala Soul Mate Mattress ─ Queen (203cm x 153cm x 33cm): $2,700 RRP*
- The New Koala Soul Mate Mattress ─ King (203cm x 183cm x 33cm): $2,950 RRP*
Is it worth buying a Koala mattress?
Feeling restless over an uncomfortable night’s sleep? Koala promises several perks throughout the mattress buying process that could make it worth paying the comparatively higher price tag. Some include:
- Adjustable support level via the double-sided comfort layer, allowing you to alternate between a medium-firm or firm feel
- Zero disturbance feature that helps keep the mattress stable to prevent you or your partner from waking up whenever someone tosses and turns or gets out of bed
- Free express shipping across Australia
- Same-day delivery for orders made before 3pm on weekdays (limited to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth), provided the product is already in stock
- Have old mattress removed and recycled by Soft Landing for free (certain areas in Sydney and Melbourne)
- Generous 120-night trial period (but you must use the mattress for at least seven days)
- Full refund for eligible returns
- Free returns (selected locations in Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide and Perth).
The Australian brand has also teamed up with the WWF to ensure a portion of each sale of their mattresses and sofas go directly to WWF, aiming to help with koala and turtle conservation efforts. Koala also claims it’s the only Aussie mattress and furniture retailer in support of 1% for the Planet, which sees the brand give one percent of their gross sales to help animals, people, and the environment each year.
Still can’t decide if the Koala Mattress is the best option for you? Check out the Canstar Blue mattress review page to compare a range of products from a variety of different brands. Koala appears to be a popular choice with many Australians, repeatedly placing as one of the top brands in our customer satisfaction ratings. Other household names like Sealy, SleepMaker, Ikea and King Koil are also worthy contenders.
About the author of this page
This report was written by Canstar Blue’s home & lifestyle journalist, Tahnee-Jae Lopez-Vito. She’s an expert on household appliances, grooming products and all things grocery and shopping. In addition to translating our expert research into consumer-friendly ratings reports, Tahnee spends her time helping consumers make better-informed purchase decisions on all manner of consumer goods and services, while highlighting the best deals and anything you need to be aware of.
*Prices are taken from Koala, current as of October 2021.
What do customers think about Koala mattresses?
In 2021, Australian customers gave Koala 5 out of 5 stars for overall customer satisfaction in Canstar Blue’s mattress ratings.