Samsung Clothes Dryers Review
Whether you’re looking for a last-minute solution to dry your clothes, or need a dryer that can handle large laundry loads, it can be difficult to find an appliance that won’t leave you high and dry.
But features such as Quick Dry and the Super Speed Cycle make Samsung dryers worthy candidates for people with busy schedules and anyone searching for convenient functionality. Most products can even be managed with the brand’s Smart Control mobile app which lets you start, stop and monitor your load of laundry from your smartphone. The AddWash range also allows you to throw in items or put extra fabric softener into your front loader mid-wash.
Types of Samsung Clothes Dryers
Samsung’s line of clothes dryers mostly includes traditional heat pump dryers with modern features, plus a washer dryer combo with the iconic AddWash feature. Here’s what’s currently available from Samsung:
- Samsung 10kg Hybrid Heat Pump Dryer DV10R8540GV
- Samsung 8kg Heat Pump Dryer DV80M5010IW
- Samsung 9kg Heat Pump Dryer DV90N8289AW
- Samsung 8kg Heat Pump Dryer DV80M5010QW
- Samsung 8.5kg/6kg AddWash Washer/Dryer Combo WD85K6410OW
What makes Samsung clothes dryers different?
There’s a whole load of clothes dryers on the market. So, what makes Samsung’s heat pump options and AddWash series any different? To help you figure out which dryer will be the best for you, we’ve created a list explaining a bunch of the common features.
- Add Door: helps you put clothes in the dryer more easily, and can be used to include items after the cycle has started.
- Water Tank: displays the level of condensation extracted from your clothes, and contains a Water Tank Indicator to show whether you need to empty the water tank before starting another load.
- 2-in-1 Filter: removes the need for a Heat Exchanger filter and includes two alarms to remind you when to clean the Filter and Heat Exchanger.
- OptimalDry system: uses moisture, temperature and heat exchanger sensors to continuously adjust the drying time, protect clothes from damage, and get “the best result”.
- SmartCheck: an error-monitoring system designed to identify and solve certain problems via the Samsung App.
Samsung Heat Pump Dryers
Samsung’s range of heat pump tumble dryers promises excellent energy efficiency and gentle treatment of your clothes. The brand claims many of its models use sensors to monitor humidity and adjust drying time, as well as protect each load from damage. Products like the Samsung DV90N8289AW also have a huge 9kg capacity and include a convenient drying rack, drum light, and an easy to maintain 2-in-1 filter.
Heat pump dryers currently available include:
- Samsung 10kg Hybrid Heat Pump Dryer DV10R8540GV: $2,499 RRP
- Samsung 8kg Heat Pump Dryer DV80M5010IW: $2,299 RRP
- Samsung 9kg Heat Pump Dryer DV90N8289AW: S1,999 RPP
- Samsung 8kg Heat Pump Dryer DV80M5010QW: $1,799 RRP
Samsung 10kg Hybrid Heat Pump Dryer DV10R8540GV
The Samsung 10kg Hybrid Pump Dryer is the most expensive appliance in the brand’s washer and dryer range. But its unique features help the machine stand out, with many of the functions being exclusive to this unit. It also has the largest capacity at 10kg, and the highest energy efficiency rating of 8 stars.
Other functions include:
- Samsung Q-rator: the Samsung SmartThings App allows you to see recommended drying cycles for each load, plan finishing times, and maintain the health of your machine.
- AirWash: uses heated air to remove bad smells and deodorise clothes.
- 360 Airholes: a ventilation system which is said to improve the air circulation and evenly distribute air in different directions.
- Heat Exchanger: a small hatchet at the bottom of the front panel, which allows you to remove trapped dust and in turn, maintain good performance, according to Samsung.
The Samsung 10kg Hybrid Pump Dryer contains Hybrid heat pump technology, which apparently “uses a heating element to preheat the air and start drying fast”. By recycling warm air and keeping a consistent temperature throughout the cycle, the machine is claimed to reduce energy consumption and operate without being affected by external temperature. If you’re looking to save on power bills with your dryer, you might like to keep this model in mind.
- RRP: $2,499
Samsung 8kg Heat Pump Dryer DV80M5010IW
The Samsung 8kg Heat Pump Dryer DV80M5010IW is the most expensive option in the range. If you’re looking for a cheap alternative, the Samsung 7kg Heat Pump Dryer DV80M5010QW retails for $500 less. But the extra bit of capacity might be what sets the model apart from the rest, especially considering it includes many of the same functions as other Samsung clothes dryers.
Some features of the Samsung DV80M5010IW include:
- 7 Star Energy Efficiency Rating
- Smart Check Troubleshooting
- 2-in-1 Filter
Like all other heat pump clothes dryers from Samsung, this machine includes the OptimalDry System to apparently protect your items during the cycle. It also features the QuickDry function to dry a small load of laundry within apparently 35 minutes.
- RRP: $2,299
Samsung 9kg Heat Pump Dryer DV90N8289AW
If you’re looking for a separate drying unit to go with your washing machine, the Samsung 9kg Heat Pump Dryer has the largest capacity in the range. But despite its size, the brand claims the appliance isn’t power hungry. The Heat Pump technology in the Samsung DV90N8289AW apparently minimises energy usage by using a ‘refrigerant’ instead of electricity to heat the air, before recycling it for a more energy-efficient way to dry laundry.
Other things to know about the Samsung 9kg Heat Pump Dryer:
- 7 Star Energy Efficiency Rating
- Optimal Dry system
- Drying rack
- Q-rator laundry assistant
- Silent Dry Cycle
Whether you’re a busy working parent or a student during exam week, the SuperSpeed function might be something to think about. It’s said to dry up to 3kg worth of laundry in 81 minutes, or wash and dry the same amount in 2 hours if you also have a QuickDrive washing machine. The QuickDry function is similarly available to dry up to 1kg of clothes within 35 minutes, according to the brand. Keep in mind the amount of time varies depending on the water supply and weight/type of laundry.
- RRP: $1,999
Samsung 8kg Heat Pump Dryer DV80M5010QW
The Samsung 8kg Heat Pump Dryer is claimed to be among the brand’s most energy efficient dryers. This is partly thanks to the Heat pump technology, which apparently creates a more efficient, cost-effective and even gentle way to dry your clothes. It also includes the 35-minute QuickDry cycle and SmartCheck error-monitoring system.
- 7 Star Energy Efficiency Rating
- OptimalDry System
- 2-in-1 Filter
- Diamond Drum
- Reversible door
The Samsung DV80M5010IW dryer is the most wallet friendly dryer-only option by the brand. It has the standard minimum capacity of 8kg, and is a more affordable alternative to the Samsung 8kg Heat Pump Dryer DV80M5010IW.
- RRP: $1,799
Samsung Washer Dryer Combo
If you live in an apartment and don’t have a clothesline, or constantly forget to put an extra top in the washing machine, Samsung’s offers a washer dryer combo designed to clean and dry clothes in one appliance. Like the brand’s heat pump dryer series, Samsung similarly offers an 11-year parts warranty on its Digital Inverter Motor. The motor is stated to help reduce vibration and provide a quiet wash cycle as it doesn’t need brushes to work.
Plus, if you feel like you’re drowning in problems, Samsung’s AddWash washer/dryer features the Smart Check automatic error-monitoring system. This is claimed to recognise and resolve any issues, as well as suggest troubleshooting solutions via the smartphone app. There’s currently just one washer/dryer on offer:
- Samsung 8.5kg/6kg AddWash Washer/Dryer Combo WD85K6410OW: $1,699 RRP
Samsung 8.5kg/6kg AddWash Washer/Dryer Combo WD85K6410OW
For a quick clean, the Samsung 8.5kg/6kg AddWash Washer/Dryer Combo features the brand’s Super Speed Cycle, which is stated to wash a 5kg load of laundry within an hour. There is similarly a 15-minute QuickWash option to cater up to 2kg load of laundry.
The unit uses AirWash technology claimed to deodorise your laundry load. This feature is stated to dry clothes with heated air and remove the need to use detergent, water or other chemicals to get rid of any unwanted smells. In addition, its auto load sensors are said to give you a ‘full coverage’ and ‘deep rinse’. The gentle touch apparently comes from the ‘soft curl’ design on the model’s Diamond Drum, with small water exit holes also built in to avoid fabric being caught.
- RRP: $1,699
Should I buy a Samsung clothes dryer?
When it comes to convenience, the features in Samsung’s dryers might be difficult to beat. The brand’s AddWash washer/dryer might offer a suitable solution for people who live in apartments by offering two essential appliances in one. The built-in sink makes products like the Samsung WD85K6410OW a useful all-rounder, especially if you’re short on space and need an area for any pre-wash jobs.
Samsung’s energy-efficient heat pump dryers might also mean smaller electricity bills, despite the high upfront price. Most of these machines have a seven-star energy rating and offer a number of features designed for quick, gentle and effective drying. Don’t let a pile of dirty and damp clothes ruin your day. If you’re in need of a clothes dryer, find out which brands are highest rated by Aussie households via the link below.