‘Tis the season to be jolly, and no doubt Aussies are already looking to stock up on food and party supplies – and cartons of beer (naturally). To help you on your shopping journey, we’ve compiled a guide of what’s open over the holidays, including on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, and New Year’s Day.
Keep in mind that trading hours can vary between different individual stores and locations, so it’s worth searching for your postcode online when looking up shopping hours.
What are the Christmas & New Year dates for 2022/2023?
- Christmas Eve: Saturday, 24 December 2022.
- Christmas Day: Sunday, 25 December 2022.
- Boxing Day: Monday, 26 December 2022.
- New Year’s Eve: Saturday, 31 December 2022.
- New Year’s Day: Sunday, 01 January 2023.
Christmas Eve shopping hours
Christmas Eve is NOT a public holiday and it falls on a Saturday this year, which means most major supermarkets including Coles and Woolworths will operate as normal ─ between 7am-8am, and 9pm-1opm, depending on location. Meanwhile, most ALDI stores will open only until 6pm on Christmas Eve. Shoppers are advised to check their local store’s trading hours online.
If you’re a Coles shopper, keep in mind that opening hours will also vary depending on the individual store. Here’s a quick rundown of opening hours in each state for Coles supermarkets:
- Coles stores in VIC ─ open 7am-10pm. (Excl. Coles Knox which closes at 9pm, and Coburg North & Carrum Downs which close at 11pm)
- Coles stores in NSW ─ open 7am-10pm
- Coles stores in QLD ─ open 7am-6pm
- Coles stores in SA ─ open 7am-5pm (except Mount Barker & Murray Bridge Green which close at 9pm. Other selected stores close at 10pm)
- Coles stores in TAS ─ open 7am-10pm
- Coles stores in NT ─ open 7am-10pm
- Coles stores in WA (metro stores) ─ open 8am-6pm
Christmas Day shopping hours
Christmas Day is a public holiday which means most supermarkets and retailers across Australia will be closed, with the exception of some independent convenience stores and service stations − you should still be able to duck out for a last-minute chicken roast or slushie! In Queensland, some independent grocery shops may also be open. Smaller businesses in Tasmania might also continue to operate throughout the holiday period, with Victoria also allowing exempt shops like restaurants, chemists, takeaway outlets, and cafés to trade.
You may also be interested in:
Boxing Day shopping hours
Boxing Day (Monday, 26 December) is ‘grab a bargain’ day and shops will definitely be open to kick off the biggest shopping event of the year, although public holiday trading hours may apply for shopping retailers, but it should be business as usual for supermarkets. Most Woolworths supermarkets are open as normal (weekday trading hours) on Boxing Day, except for the Millicent Woolies store in South Australia and several stores in Western Australia and the Northern Territory. These include:
- Woolworths stores in WA ─ all stores open (except Esperance)
- Woolworths stores in NT ─ all stores open 8am-8pm (except Gove ─ 9am -5pm)
Coles will be open on Boxing Day but trading hours will depend on the specific store. Here’s a general rundown:
- Coles stores in VIC ─ open 7am-9pm
- Coles stores in NSW ─ open 7am-9pm
- Coles stores in QLD ─ open 9am-6pm (although select stores will be open between 7am-9pm)
- Coles stores in SA ─ all Adelaide metro stores will be closed on Boxing Day (26/12). Regional stores will be open 8am-8pm.
- Coles stores in TAS ─ open 7am-9pm
- Coles stores in NT ─ open 8am-8pm
- Coles stores in WA (metro stores) ─ open 8am-6pm. Regional stores may vary.
Most ALDI stores nationwide will be open from 8:30am to 6pm-8pm ─ although ALDI stores in South Australia will open a little later at 11am.
New Year’s Eve & New Year’s Day shopping hours
New Year’s Eve is NOT a public holiday which means the majority of supermarkets including Coles and Woolies as well as retail shops will operate as normal but weekend trading hours will apply − mostly between 7am and 9pm-10pm − as it falls on a Saturday this year. Although, it’s likely some regional Coles stores and select Coles metro stores in Adelaide will close at 5pm.
However, New Year’s Day is a public holiday, so reduced trading hours may apply. January 1, 2023, falls on a Sunday, but Woolworths and Coles have confirmed stores will trade between 9am-6pm, except for select locations and regional stores. Most ALDI stores will open from 10am, except for stores in South Australia which will resume trading from 11am.
Are bottle shops open on Christmas Day?
Don’t leave it until the last minute to stock up on booze or you could be left high and dry. Liquor stores such as Dan Murphy’s and BWS aren’t open on Christmas Day. If you’re planning to sink a few beers during the holidays, you should get your tipples a week before the festivities to be safe. Although, bottle shops are open on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day.
You may also be interested in:
Are restaurants open on Christmas Day?
Some local restaurants, including cafés, will be open on Christmas Day ─ but whether a particular venue is open, is up to the individual business. Make sure to call ahead and, most importantly, book a table to ensure your family isn’t left hangry on the merriest day of the year.
Are the cinemas open on Christmas Day?
If you would rather watch festive movies like A Boy Called Christmas on the big screen, some cinemas like Hoyts, Cineplex, and Village Cinemas are open on Christmas Day. Although certain venues might only run afternoon screenings rather than all-day sessions. Meanwhile, Event Cinemas, Reading Cinemas, and Palace Cinemas are typically closed. But this can vary between locations.
Are pharmacies open on Christmas Day?
Most pharmacies are open every day throughout the year including public holidays, like Christmas Day, New Year’s Day, Easter, Anzac Day, and so on. Although, health and beauty retailers which offer pharmacy services such as Priceline will be closed. Essential services like banks, The Post Office, and op shops will also be shut.
Picture credits: Alliance Images/Shutterstock.com, Stokkete/Shutterstock.com.