The majority of electricity market share in deregulated states is held by the major retailers, AGL, Origin and EnergyAustralia. However, in recent years a growing number of smaller retailers have risen up and slowly begun to chip away at the big guys. Among those leading the charge are Lumo Energy and Simply Energy. Both these retailers offer big discounts and alluring specials, but how do they stack up in value when pitted against each other?
While some plans share the same names across different states, the details of the offer may vary. Be sure to read the energy price factsheet for full details and ensure it’s the right deal for you. As both providers regularly change their plans, check their websites for up to date information. You can also compare their latest offers with our energy comparison tool.
On this page:
Simply Energy vs Lumo Energy – Which provider has cheaper deals?
Here are the current cheapest published deals on our database for Simply Energy and Lumo Energy in the two states they serve – Victoria and South Australia – with any conditional discounts factored in.
Which deal is cheapest in VIC; Lumo or Simply Energy?
Simply Energy currently beats Lumo Energy on price in Victoria. You can compare these costs to many other providers in Victoria with our price comparison report.
Here are the Simply Energy and Lumo Energy plans on our database for Victoria. These costs are based on the Citipower network in Melbourne but prices may vary depending on your circumstances. This comparison assumes general energy usage of 4000kWh/year for a residential customer on a single rate tariff. Please use our comparison tool for a specific comparison in your area. Our database may not cover all deals in your area. As always, check all details of any plan directly with the retailer before making a purchase decision.
Which deal is cheapest in SA; Lumo or Simply Energy?
Simply Energy is currently the cheaper of the two providers in SA. You can see how other retailers stack up in our SA electricity price comparison report.
Here are the Simply Energy and Lumo Energy plans on our database for South Australia. These costs are based on the SA Power network in Adelaide but prices may vary depending on your circumstances. This comparison assumes general energy usage of 4011kWh/year for a residential customer on a single rate tariff. Please use our comparison tool for a specific comparison in your area. Our database may not cover all deals in your area. As always, check all details of any plan directly with the retailer before making a purchase decision.
What plans do these providers offer in Victoria?
Victoria is the most competitive energy market in Australia, and this is reflected by the wide range of offers available from Simply Energy and Lumo Energy. Let’s start by reviewing those from Simply Energy, which has a strong focus on eye-catching discounts and promotional offers.
- Simply Energy Saver: This plan offers variable usage and supply rates for an ongoing contract period. This offer also comes with a generous guaranteed discount off the usage and supply rates.
- Simply For Good: This plan matches 100% of a customers’ energy usage with energy from accredited renewable generators for a small additional cost. There are no lock-in contracts or exit fees.
- Simply Movie Perks: Exclusive to Victoria, this plan rewards customers with a Village Cinemas membership with 1,000 Vrewards each month. These points can then be put towards movie tickets and snacks. Simply Movie Perks also comes with a guaranteed discount off usage charges.
- Simply Blue Perks: This is a variable rate plan that comes with a complimentary 12-month membership to My NRMA. A generous guaranteed discount is available off usage and supply charges.
Lumo Energy has two electricity offers in Victoria. Costs will vary depending on your personal circumstances.
- Basic: This plan comes with variable usage and supply rates and no lock-in contracts.
- Plus: This plan offers cheap variables rates and waives connection and disconnection fees for customers when they move house.
What plans do these providers offer in South Australia?
Lumo Energy and Simply Energy both have a strong presence in the South Australian electricity market, with each provider offering a wide range of competitive deals. Let’s start with Simply Energy:
- Simply For Good: This plan is Simply’s dedicated GreenPower plan with no lock-in contracts or exit fees. This plan is also offered with an additional discount for RAA members.
- Simply Smarter: This plan includes free smart meter installation and access to usage monitoring tools. It also includes no lock-in contracts or exit fees.
- Simply Energy Saver: This plan offers variable usage and supply rates for an ongoing contract period. It also comes with a generous guaranteed discount off the usage and supply rates.
Lumo Energy offers South Australians a similar product suite as Victorians get, however, they can also gain access to the retailer’s rewards program. Costs will vary depending on your personal circumstances.
- Basic: This is Lumo Energy’s basic plan with no conditional discount, just competitive rates. It comes with no lock-in contract or exit fees. It also comes with access to Lumo rewards program.
- Lumo Plus: This plan only differs slightly to the one above, with the same rates and no conditional discounts. However, customers will receive Lumo Rewards credits if they pay their bills on time.
How to get the best energy deal
It’s clear that both Lumo Energy and Simply Energy have plenty of enticing energy offers to choose from. That said, finding the best deal might require some digging past the headline discounts and incentives, and into the price fact sheets of the plans you are interested in.
Discounts and credits can be a great way to reduce your overall costs, but only if you’re also receiving competitive base rates – it’s all about finding a plan that offers you the best overall value. Also keep in mind that prices often change, meaning customers must keep vigilant and regularly compare deals to ensure they’re receiving the best offer. If you haven’t compared electricity providers or plans in the past few months, then you might not be receiving the best price on electricity.
This comparison is based on a very specific household, with usage figures and postcodes detailed above. Any annual cost estimates should be considered indicative only and not an actual quote. Please use our comparison tool for information catered to your location and electricity usage estimates.