Review of Southern Phone broadband plans
Southern Phone offers an extensive range of mobile phone services and internet plans to customers around Australia. Southern Phone is an Australian-owned and operated internet service provider. The telco was initially funded by the Networking the Nation scheme, an initiative of the Federal Government aiming to improve communication service to regional areas. The only shareholders in the company are local governments, so all profits are reinvested back into the community. Whether it’s ADSL, mobile or NBN internet you’re after, we’ve reviewed and compared Southern Phone’s plans so you can determine the best plan for your needs.
Southern Phone Broadband Internet Plans
|Connection Type||Inclusions||Price Per Month From|
|ADSL with home phone calls||50GB plus unlimited local and national calls||$75|
|200GB plus unlimited calls to local, national and mobile||$80|
|Unlimited data and calls to local, national and mobile||$90|
|NBN Fibre with home phone calls||50GB plus unlimited local and national calls||$60|
|200GB plus unlimited calls to local, national and mobile||$70|
|Unlimited data and calls to local, national and mobile||$80|
Southern Phone ADSL Plans
- An activation fee of $59 applies to new contracts, as well as a connection fee for new fixed line connections
- A Wi-Fi modem is included in the plans with an attached $14.95 handling and delivery fee
The standalone “naked” plans do not come with home phone line rental – ideal if you no longer use your home phone. The bundled options include unlimited local and national calls, along with variable broadband data allowance. Both options are only available on 24 month contracts, with a maximum exit fee of $480. Southern Phone’s standalone broadband plan options are as follows:
Southern Phone NBN Plans
If your home has access to the National Broadband Network, Southern Phone has a solid range of plans with and without home phone packs. All of these plans require a 24 month contract, with an NBN Wi-Fi modem provided. For those after home phone line rental, Southern Phone offers both NBN internet and phone bundles. The first two plans include unlimited local and national calls using the NBN Fibre Phone, while the two more expensive plans add unlimited mobile calls to the deal.
Each plan comes standard on 12/1 Mbps speed, with a choice of three faster download speed tiers for capped plans. Here are the options:
- 25/5 Mbps: +$10 a month
- 50/20 Mbps:+$20 a month
- 100/40 Mbps: +30 a month
Here’s a snapshot of what you can expect to pay:
Southern Phone Mobile Broadband Plans
|Data Included||Price Per Month|
Source: Southern Phone website
If you need internet connectivity as you travel around throughout the day, look no further than a mobile broadband subscription.
- Southern Phone provides four plans on the HSPA 3G network to ensure access for regional and rural customers
- Mobile broadband also comes on 24 month plans, and all plans include a USB dongle for easy setup and access on your computer
- The maximum speed capable on the mobile plans is 3.6Mbps
Southern Phone’s mobile broadband plans represent a good alternative to ADSL and NBN for when you’re on the move.
Southern Phone Triple Bundle
Southern Phone also offers a Triple Bundle which bundles your internet, home phone and mobile phone subscriptions together.
- The bundles includes a Samsung Galaxy J1 Mini or Onix Easy-To-Use Phone, or for an additional $23 a month an iPhone 6S
- Mobile usage call charges are 99 cents per minute plus a 40 cent connection fee, working out to around 42 two minute calls per $100 of credit
- All bundles are available on a 24 month contract only, have a $59 activation fee and include a Wi-Fi modem
For ADSL users, for $99.95 per month you’ll receive 150GB of data, a home phone line with $20 of call credit and $100 of mobile call and text credit.
- Mobile data is not included in the plan and is charged at a rate of 50 cents per MB, with a 25c minimum charge
- Since family call rates are charged at just 1c per minute for the first five minutes, this plan would be great for those with multiple phones on the Southern Phone network
Those who are connected to the NBN have five plans to choose from:
- $79: 50GB data on 12/1Mbps, unlimited local and national home phone calls, $100 mobile credit and 200MB of mobile data
- $89: 200GB data on 12/1Mbps, unlimited local and national home phone calls, $100 credit and 200MB of mobile data
- $99: 200GB data on 25/5Mbps, unlimited calls to local, national and mobile numbers, $100 mobile credit and 1GB of mobile data
- $109: 500GB data on 25/5Mbps, unlimited calls to local, national and mobile numbers, $100 mobile credit and 1GB mobile data
- $129: Unlimited data on 25/5Mbps, unlimited calls to local, national and mobile numbers, unlimited mobile credit and 2GB of mobile data
How does Southern Phone compare to other internet providers?
With its focus on regional customers, Southern Phone often struggles to provide similar value to metro-oriented telcos. Generally speaking, there are other providers out there that offer more ‘bang for buck’; however Southern Phone’s purpose to help out the rural communities is noble.
Southern Phone ADSL Plans Compared
- 100GB from $49 a month
Southern Phone struggles to battle competitors’ ADSL plans due to the extra costs associated with long distance and its rural-orientation. It offers prices similar to others that have unlimited data. On its basic ADSL plans, the entry-level 100GB plan is on par with several providers at $49 per month. However, the remaining standalone plans and bundles often can’t compete with other city-based telcos such as Dodo, which offers unlimited data at a significantly lower price point. AusBBS and TPG also offer something much cheaper albeit with lesser data, while Belong offers the same amount of data for a cheaper price.
Southern Phone NBN Plans Compared
When it comes to the NBN, Southern Phone also struggles to present a compelling value case. The 200GB L plan starts at $55 per month, a price at which many providers offer unlimited downloads on their plans. Things improve with faster speeds, however, as once boosted to 100/40Mbps the plan costs $85 per month, slightly more than an offering from Teleron. However, the general consensus is that there are other providers – such as SpinTel, Exetel, AusBBS and Bendigo Bank Telco – that all offer the same amount of data for less money.
Southern Phone Mobile Broadband Compared
- 10GB for $69.95 a month over 24-months – free dongle
Southern Phone’s price gulf compared to other providers is most evident in its mobile broadband offerings. For 10GB you pay a comparatively expensive $70-odd per month. Other providers such as Jeenee Mobile, Yomojo, OVO Mobile and even Optus all offer the same or more data for much cheaper. However, Southern Phone is kind enough to throw in a free dongle for your troubles.
Is a Southern Phone internet plan good value?
Southern Phone presents a great range of plans for Aussies living outside the major capital cities. If your broadband and phone options are limited by location, it’s worth checking if Southern Phone is available in your area. The company’s business model is admirable in that profits are redistributed among the areas serviced.
For those living in metro area, Southern Phone doesn’t seem to offer compelling alternatives to most providers when compared on data allowance. Its NBN plans are more competitive when speed tiers are taken into account; however, they are unable to match the price of several other competitors. Overall, Southern Phone may be worth a look-in if you’re living outside of the metro areas, but if you’re more city than country, there are many other providers worth a lookout for.