Our watch has ended. The final season of Game of Thrones has aired and fans are left with a sense of emptiness because, what do we watch now?
Game of Thrones Season 8 has pulled in millions of viewers worldwide and smashed HBO’s viewing records. However that doesn’t mean that everyone has caught up, or you could be one of those rare people who has never watched an episode in your life. Either way, you can still catch up on Season 8 of Game of Thrones in Australia.
Based on George R.R. Martin’s bestselling A Song of Ice and Fire series, Game of Thrones first premiered back in 2011 and now — like a dream of spring at the end of a long, cold winter — the final season has wrapped up. Although the HBO show has finished its journey, there are still the final two books in the series — The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring — not to mention some confirmed and unconfirmed spin off shows in the works. But maybe you want to catch up to find out who wins and dies in the ‘game of thrones’? Here is your ultimate guide on how you can catch up on the hit TV show.
How can I watch Game of Thrones Season 8 in Australia?
The rights to Game of Thrones, and many of HBO’s popular shows, have rested with Foxtel since season one. This has been a sore point for many Australian Game of Thrones fans over the years, especially after the great Foxtel crash of 2017, when the Foxtel Now app crashed during the evening peak when viewers tuned in to watch the season 7 premier.
So, how can you legally watch Game of Thrones in Australia? If you have a subscription to Foxtel, you can watch encore screenings of Game of Thrones on the Fox Showcase channel. You can also record the show through your Foxtel iQ box to watch at a time that suits you. Existing Foxtel customers also have access to the Foxtel Go app, which lets you watch shows live and on demand via the app or the Watch Foxtel website — so you can catch the new episodes at your leisure.
For those without a Foxtel TV subscription, your only other option is to sign up to the Foxtel Now streaming service. For $25 per month, you’ll get Foxtel Now’s Essentials package, including its Pop and Lifestyle packs — the former of which gives you access to Game of Thrones. There are additional packs you can add on, but if you’re signing up primarily for Game of Thrones, you’ll probably be happy with the Essentials pack.
You can watch Foxtel Now on several different supported devices. The Foxtel Now app can be downloaded to your mobile or tablet and you can watch online on either a PC or Mac. You can also watch on your TV via Chromecast, Apple Airplay, the PlayStation 4 app, through Telstra TV, or by purchasing a Foxtel Now box for $99 from Foxtel.
- You can watch encore Game of Thrones Season 8 through Foxtel on the Fox Showcase channel
- Stream Game of Thrones on Foxtel Now for $25 with the ‘Essentials’ pack
- Foxtel pay TV customers can stream Game of Thrones on the Foxtel Go app as part of their package
How can I get Foxtel?
While you can sign up direct through Foxtel, you can also access Foxtel through Telstra. Telstra offers a few different options for accessing both Foxtel Now and Foxtel TV.
- Foxtel Now from Telstra: Purchase a Foxtel Now subscription through Telstra — existing Telstra customers can add this onto the one bill
- Telstra TV: Telstra TV is a set top box which includes the access to the Foxtel Now app so you can watch on your TV — you’ll still need a Foxtel Now subscription to access the app, but you can bundle Telstra TV with an internet plan (ADSL or
- Foxtel from Telstra packages: Telstra offers Foxtel TV packages and packages where you can bundle Foxtel with a Telstra internet plan
You might find that there is an advantage to purchasing Foxtel from Telstra, rather than through Foxtel direct. While Foxtel provides more flexibility by letting you select your packs to build your own plan, Telstra has a range of preset packs to suit a range of different viewing needs and some of these plans are actually a bit cheaper than through Foxtel. Another advantage to choosing Foxtel from Telstra is the convenience of bundling other Telstra plans (such as an unlimited broadband plan) through a single provider, which can make it easier to manage your accounts. The below table features links from a referral partner.
|Brand||Features||Max Data**/billing period||Advertised Cost^^/billing period|
min. cost $286 for first month
|100GB||$70||Go To Site|
min. cost $306 for first month
|Unlimited||$90||Go To Site|
|View all NBN plans listed on Canstar Blue||**^^View important information|
Not sold on Telstra? While you can sign up for just a Foxtel (or Foxtel Now) subscription through Foxtel, the company now also offers its own internet (ADSL and NBN) plans, which are bundled with subscriptions to its pay TV service. If you’re already looking at switching your internet provider, this could be a money-saving alternative to signing up for a Foxtel subscription and separate internet plan with another ISP.
If you are looking into a Foxtel broadband bundle that will give you access to Fox Showcase (so you can watch Game of Thrones), you’ll need to select either the Drama pack or Platinum HD bundle.
How can I catch up on the other seasons?
Need a refresher before the final season? Or perhaps you’re looking to binge watch the series for the first time? The good news is, there are a few other options for catching up on the past seasons. Because Foxtel holds exclusive rights in Australia, you can’t stream Game of Thrones on Netflix or Stan any time soon, but Foxtel does have seasons one through to seven available for streaming on both the Foxtel Go and Foxtel Now apps.
You can also buy Game of Thrones seasons through Fetch TV, including Season 8. Fetch TV is a streaming video on-demand (SVOD) set-top box with access to free-to-air and subscription TV channels. In addition to watching and recording live TV, Fetch TV allows you to watch video streaming apps including Netflix, Stan, and free-to-air catch-up apps such as ABC iView and SBS On Demand.
You can also buy or rent movies and TV shows through Fetch, including Game of Thrones seasons one through to seven. Several ISPs, including iiNet, Internode and Optus, have Fetch TV bundled with home internet plans, so it might be worth looking into if you’re interested in Fetch TV and currently comparing broadband and NBN plans.
Want an easier, no-fuss way to buy Game of Thrones to watch on your mobile or tablet? You can purchase all eight seasons through both the iTunes store and Google Play, making it easy to watch on your device on the go.
How to watch Game of Thrones in Australia — a quick summary:
- Game of Thrones season 8 is only available to watch through Foxtel, including it’s streaming apps.
- Foxtel’s streaming service, Foxtel Now, is the cheapest way to watch Game of Thrones — $25 a month will get you the ‘Pop’ and ‘Lifestyle’ packs, which includes the Fox Showcase channel, which includes the biggest HBO shows.
- Foxtel has a range of TV packages, to watch Game of Thrones, you’ll need the Drama + Entertainment package at $49 per month, the Sport HD + Entertainment pack at $58 per month or the Platinum HD pack at $99 a month.
- The Foxtel Go app is for existing Foxtel customers and gives you access to catch-up and live TV streaming.
- Telstra offers Foxtel Now subscriptions in addition to Foxtel TV packages and Foxtel bundled with Telstra internet plans.
- Catch up on Game of Thrones by streaming seasons 1-8 through Foxtel, or rent/buy the seasons through Fetch TV, iTunes or Google Play.
Stream 50+ Sports with Kayo
Love streaming? Love sports? Kayo is a new streaming platform that provides access to a wealth of sports, from basketball to cricket, motorsports and soccer. Click ‘go to site’ for more details. The below table features links from a referral partner.
|Brand||Subscription Type||No. of Screens/same time viewing||Advertised Cost^^/month|
min. cost $25 over 1 month
||Go To Site|
min. cost $35 over 1 month
||Go To Site|
min. cost $5 over first 2 months
|Get Offeron Telstra’s website|
|^^View important information|