Many ‘egg-cited’ Aussie families will be out and about for Easter this year, with many taking advantage of the long weekend. So, if you need to stock up on supplies for the holidays – and a bucket load of Easter eggs – here’s your guide to what’s open over the long weekend.
What are the Easter dates for 2023?
- Good Friday: April 7, 2023
- Easter Saturday: April 8, 2023
- Easter Sunday: April 9, 2023
- Easter Monday: April 10, 2023
Good Friday shopping hours
Good Friday is a national public holiday which means restricted trading hours apply.
- Supermarkets including Coles, Woolworths, and ALDI will be closed on Good Friday nationwide, with the exception of select locations in South Australia and Western Australia.
- Independent stores and shops in shopping centres will also be shut in most states and territories.
- Most IGA stores are open over the entire Easter long weekend as normal days.
Bottle shops like BWS, Dan Murphy’s, Vintage Cellars and the like will all be closed on Good Friday, so if you’re planning to sink a few beers that weekend, you should get your tipples on Thursday (April 6) before the weekend rush.
Easter Saturday shopping hours
Saturday is NOT a national public holiday, although Holy Saturday is a regional public holiday in some parts of the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), New South Wales, the Northern Territory, Queensland, South Australia, and Victoria. Most retailers and shops nationwide will trade as normal from 9am until 5pm or later. So, if you’re thinking of putting on an Easter spread at home or hosting a barbie at the local park, that’d be your best day to shop.
- Most Woolies and Coles stores will be open in all states as normal.
- ALDI stores will be open regular hours.
- Most IGA stores will be open on Easter Saturday, although trading hours will vary between stores.
Restaurants, cafes and food outlets will also trade as normal on Saturday.
Easter Sunday shopping hours
Easter Sunday is a public holiday, but most specialty stores and retail shops will trade as normal from 10am until 4pm, depending on your location. Major supermarkets will be open if you need to duck out for some last-minute Easter chocolates before the kids wake up. Although, this could vary between states, so check your local store for details.
Woolworths Easter Sunday trading hours
Most stores in VIC, QLD, WA, SA, NT and TAS will be open – although opening hours may vary – while most stores in NSW and ACT will be closed.
Coles Easter Sunday trading hours
Stores in VIC, NSW, QLD, WA and NT will be open, with SA stores closed except for Port Lincoln, Port Pirie, Port Augusta, Adelaide Rundle Place, Whyalla, Murray Bridge Green, Mount Gambier, Victor Harbor and Mount Barker
ALDI Easter Sunday trading hours
All stores in VIC and WA will be open, with store opening hours varying in NSW, ACT, QLD and SA, with shoppers urged to check online via the ALDI Store Locator.
IGA Easter Sunday trading hours
Store opening hours will vary between locations and stores, as each IGA is independently owned. Select stores will be open Easter Sunday, with store details able to be found online.
You may also be interested in:
- Best-rated loyalty reward programs
- What is the average grocery bill?
- What is unit pricing? How to work out the REAL cost of groceries
Easter Monday shopping hours
Easter Monday is also a public holiday, but most retail shops will operate with reduced trading hours.
- Woolies and Coles will be open in NSW, VIC, QLD, WA, NT and TAS. Select stores in SA will be closed, with shoppers urged to check their local stores’ times online.
- Most ALDI supermarkets will be open on Easter Monday but closing times will vary based on location, so check your local store for details.
- Most IGA stores will be open, but dependent on location.
Picture credits: Nils Versemann/Shutterstock.com, Adwo/Shutterstock.com, Tampa/Shutterstock.com
Original Author: Megan Birot