Lebara Mobile Phone Plans Review
As one of the leading mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs) in Australia, Lebara has a history stretching back to 2001. The telco was first founded in Norway and now operates in countries across the world, including Australia. When Lebara first set up shop in Australia in 2009, it choose to use the Vodafone network to deliver its services. In 2016, Vodafone Hutchison Australia bought Lebara’s Australian division, bringing the two telcos even closer together.
Lebara still stays true to its main ethos about keeping customers connected to their friends and family overseas with generous international call inclusions on its SIM-only prepaid plans. Whether international calls are a draw card or you’re looking for plans not from the big three telcos, what does Lebara have to offer when it comes to prepaid phone plans?
How does Lebara compare to other prepaid providers?
The following table shows a selection of published prepaid plans on Canstar Blue’s database, listed in order of lowest standard monthly cost to highest, then by data allowance, largest to smallest. These plans have been compared to Lebara’s Medium $29.90 Sim Only plan. Use our comparison tool to see all plans available on Canstar Blue’s database. This table includes products with links to referral partners.
Lebara mobile plans at a glance
Lebara offers a range of its SIM-only prepaid plans (with the exception of one pay-as-you-go plan) as either 30-day plans or long-term plans, which run over 180 or 360 days. All prepaid plans include unlimited standard national calls and SMS, while the long-term plans also include unlimited standard national MMS. Plans start as little as $14.90 for 30 days and go up to $69.90 for 30 days. You may also need to purchase a $2 SIM Starter Pack in addition to your prepaid plan of choice.
What does Lebara offer?
Where Lebara really stands out from the telco crowd is in its generous unlimited international call inclusions. Even the cheapest 30-day plan has some good international call value, further cementing Lebara as one of the few telcos that focuses on keeping people connected around the world. There is also an unlimited international call pack that you can buy as an add on to your plan, but these calls are restricted to certain countries.
|30-Day SIM-Only Plans||Long Term Plans|
|Data-free video streaming|
|Data-free music streaming|
|Data overage fees|
Lebara mobile network and coverage
Lebara operates as an MVNO on the third largest network in Australia, the Vodafone 4G network. Vodafone currently covers over 22 million Australians and the telco is continually building and improving services, especially to regional Australia. For more information and to see if you’ll have access to the Vodafone network in your area, visit the Lebrara website.
Features and bonuses
With the exception of the pay-as-you-go plan, all of Lebara’s prepaid plans, both the 30-day and long-term plans, include unlimited standard national calls and SMS, while the long-term plans also include unlimited MMS.
- International calls: All of the 30-day and long-term plans include international call value, with the 30-day Extra Small plan being the only one that has a cap on minutes. The other plans include unlimited calls to select countries, with the different price points reflecting which countries you will have unlimited access to. If you have friends and family in New Zealand, China, South Korea, Canada, the UK or USA, you’ll have the most choice with these countries, among others, being included in the unlimited call value of most plans. Most plans also include an amount of call credit that can be used to call any country. The Lebara website has a handy tool that lets you search by country for call rates and available minutes on each plan.
- Add-on data: If you run out of your data before your plan expires, there are three data packs you can choose as an add-on. Packs start at $5 with 1GB of data, $10 for 1.5GB and up to $25 for 5GB, all for use over 30 days.
- Auto-recharge: Auto recharge is available via your Lebara account, and Lebara is known to add on bonus data from time to time for auto-recharge customers.
- Data banking: Lebara allows data banking of up to 200GB of data, so if you don’t use your full data allowance, you’ll have up to 48 hours to recharge your plan (with either a 30, 180 or 360-day plan), then your unused data will roll over into your data bank. Data baking does not include additional data purchased separately as data packs.
- International roaming: You can add on an international roaming pack, with two add ons to choose from — the $15 roaming pack with 500MB of data, 15 minutes standard talk and 50 SMS over 2 day-expiry, or the $50 pack with 2GB data, 90 minutes standard talk and 200 SMS over a 5-day expiry. Roaming packs are only available for 50+ destinations including Canada, China, Fiji, France, Germany, India, New Zealand, Singapore, Thailand, the UK and USA.
Lebara 30-Day Plans
If you’re looking for a 30-day prepaid plan, you’ll have six options to choose from. All of Lebara’s 30-day prepaid plans include unlimited standard national calls and SMS, data inclusions and some international call inclusion. You’ll also have access to data banking and even data gifting.
The Extra-Small plan includes 3GB of data and up to 300 minutes of standard international calls to nine countries, the Small plan includes 12GB of data and unlimited standard international calls to 20 countries and the Medium plan includes 30GB of data and unlimited standard international calls to 30 countries.
The Large plan includes 45GB of data and unlimited standard international calls to 45 countries, the Extra Large includes 60GB of data and unlimited standard international calls to 56 countries and the top-level Extra-Extra Large plan includes 100GB of data and unlimited standard international calls to 60 countries.
All of these plans also include $3-$15 of ‘international credit’ for talk and text to countries not included in your international call inclusions. Check the Lebara website for international call and SMS rates.
Lebara Long-Term Plans
If you’re happy to sign up for a longer-term plan, there are five options to choose from, including three 180-day plans and two 360-day plans. The Small 180 plan comes with 6GB of data each month (month is measured by a 30-day period) and unlimited standard international calls to 20 countries. Likewise, the Medium 180-day plan comes with 12GB of data each month and unlimited standard international calls to 30 countries, while the Large 180-day plan includes 22GB of data and unlimited standard international calls to 45 countries.
If you’re prepared to prepay for a 360-day plan, you’ll be able to choose from the Medium 360-day plan with 12GB data per month and unlimited standard international calls to 30 countries, or the Large 360-day plan with 22GB of data each month and unlimited standard international calls to 45 countries.
All of these plans include unlimited standard national calls and SMS, data banking, data gifting and $5-$10 of international credit for calls and SMS to countries not included in your allowance.
Lebara contact details/customer support
Need some help with your Lebara plan or service? The telco offers several contact and support options, including:
- General customer support: 1300 126 122 or 126 122 from a Lebara mobile
- Live chat via website
- Email: email@example.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LebaraAU/
How does Lebara compare?
Lebara isn’t the only telco offering Vodafone network coverage at lower prices. The following providers also use parts of the Vodafone network:
Is Lebara a good deal?
Lebara has certainly made a name for itself for offering good prepaid phone deals for travellers and expats with its generous international call inclusions. While that might be the telco’s main focus, there is still good value for money when it comes to call, text and data inclusions — especially with unlimited calls and SMS on the majority of the plans.
While other providers might have plans offering big chunks of data for less money, Lebara has some fairly generous inclusions especially if you’re after big chunks of data. The included international call value might also be what pushes some customers into the higher plans, as these plans have the largest amount of countries included in unlimited international call value.
Lebara does offer good value for money if you’re looking into prepaid mobile phone plans, however its international call and SMS value is where the telco really stands out from the rest. If you have friends and family overseas, or are travelling in Australia, you might find Lebara provides the best value for money. Even if you’re after general call and data inclusions, Lebara is still worth your consideration when comparing mobile phone plans.
- The Cheapest Mobile Phone Plans
- Top Mobile Deals
- SIM Only Plans Compared
- Excess Data Charges Explained
About the author of this page
This page was written and is regularly updated by Canstar Blue’s Telco Specialist, Emma Bradstock. An expert in all things phone, internet, gaming and streaming, Emma helps to make complicated subjects easier for readers to understand, as well as covering the latest news and reviews across the telco industry. She’s passionate about helping consumers make better-informed telco choices and highlighting the next best deals.
What do customers think about Lebara mobile plans?
In 2019, Australians gave Lebara 3 out of 5 stars for Overall Customer Satisfaction in prepaid mobile plans.