Catch Connect Phone Plans Review
Online retailer Catch.com.au has its own suite of prepaid phone plans and mobile broadband plans, labelled under the name ‘Catch Connect’. Catch Connect is a Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) operating on the Optus 4G network.
Rather than offering its plans on one expiry period like what you’ll find with other prepaid providers, Catch Connect offers plans across 30, 90 and 365 days. With both short and long-term options, you’ll have more choices. Whether you like the freedom of a shorter term plan or you’d prefer to set and forget for up to a year — there are plenty of choices for everyone. Let’s take a look at what Catch has to offer in more detail below.
Catch Connect plans at a glance
Catch Connect offers 30-day, 90-day, and 365-day prepaid plans. All prepaid mobile plans are SIM-only, come with unlimited calls & texts, and use the Optus 4G network. Data is billed by the kilobyte, and as it’s a prepaid service, you have to manually recharge if you run out of data. ‘Catch Extras’ can also be added on, including:
- Extra Data: $10 for 1GB, or $15 for 2GB
- International Extras: $5 for up to 100 international minutes, or $10 for 300 minutes to 32 countries
- Extra Credit: Extra credit can also be added with $5, $10, $20 or $50 options available.
- PAYG rates can be applied to these amounts: 12c a minute calls, 12c texts, 49c MMS, 10c/MB data.
You’ll also find that Catch Connect offers generous discounts for new customers on your first recharge period across 30-day and some 90-day plans. After your first 30 or 90 days, you’ll then pay the full plan price for subsequent recharges.
The following table shows all published 30-day Catch Connect prepaid plans on Canstar Blue’s database, listed in order of standard cost, from the lowest to highest. Use our comparison tool to see plans from a range of other providers. This is a selection of products with links to a referral partner.
What does Catch Connect offer?
All of Catch Connect’s plans, across 30, 90 and 365-day expiry periods, come with unlimited standard national calls and SMS. Data allowance differs from plan to plan, but keep in mind if you choose a 90 or 365-day plan, your data inclusion will need to last you throughout that plan period, otherwise you’ll need to recharge before your expiry period or add on Catch Extras.
|Feature||Catch Connect plans|
|Data-free video streaming|
|Data-free music streaming|
|Data overage fees|
Catch Connect network and coverage
Catch Connect operates as a MVNO on the Optus 3G and 4G networks, so you can expect similar coverage and speeds to what you would get on an Optus plan. The Optus 3G network covers around 98.5% of the population, while the 4G network covers around 96.9% of the population. You can check the network coverage in your area on the Catch Connect website.
Features and bonuses
While all of Catch Connect’s plans, across 30, 90 and 365-day expiry periods, come with unlimited national calls and SMS and data inclusions, Catch do also include some additional extras, which could entice you to sign up to the telco.
- International calls: The most expensive plans across all three expiry periods come with some international call inclusions to 32 select countries (including Canada, mainland China, Greece, India, Japan, New Zealand, the UK and USA). The $49.90 30-day plan includes 200 minutes, the $119 90-day plan includes 400 minutes and the $410 365-day plan includes 500 minutes. Keep in mind with the 90 and 365-day plans that your call inclusions are for the duration of your plan length, so that’s 400 minutes over 90 days and 500 minutes over 365 days.
- Add-on data: Rather than recharging your plan, you can choose one of the two Data Packs if you need a little extra data. $10 will get you 1GB and $15 will get you 2GB, both of which expire 30 days after you add it. Catch Extras credit can also be used for data.
- International roaming: If you want to use your Catch Connect plan overseas, global roaming is enabled by default but you’ll need to purchase a Catch Extras pack which will include credit for you to use overseas. You’ll need to check the Catch Connect website for international roaming rates to help you determine how much credit you’ll need to add on.
Catch Connect 30-day plans
The Catch Connect 30-day plans are available across four prices. The $15 plan includes 3GB of data, the $25 plan includes 11GB, for $35 you’ll get 20GB and up to $49.90 will get you 40GB of data to use over the 30-day plan period. All plans include unlimited standard national calls and SMS, while the $49.90 plan also includes some international call inclusions. New customers will get the first 30 days for $4.90 on all four of these 30-day plans.
Catch Connect 90-day plans
If you’re signing up for a 90-day plan, the 8GB, 35GB, and 54GB options are available to new customers for just $15 when you purchase. The $15 price applies to your first 90 days, and costs will revert to standard pricing when you recharge. The $39 plan gets you 8GB of data, for $69 you’ll get 35GB, the $89 plan includes 54GB, while the $119 plan includes 102GB (along with international call inclusions), all to use over 90 days.
Catch Connect 365-day plans
If you’re happy to commit to a full year, Catch Connect’s 365-day plans have you covered. However, you’ll need to be conscious of your data use, as included gigabytes will ideally last you for the full 365-day expiry period (although add-on data is available if needed). For $190, you’ll get 42GB of data, $270 will get you 150GB, $340 includes 220GB and $410 includes 375GB of data (and international call inclusions) to use over the 365-day period.
Catch Connect contact details/customer support
Need some help with your Catch Connect plan or service? The telco offers several contact and support options including:
- General customer support: 1300 222 825 (9am-8pm AEST Mon-Fri, 10am-6pm AEST Sat-Sun & public holidays, excluding Christmas Day and New Years Day)
- Email: email@example.com
- Online chat
How does Catch Connect compare?
If you’re interested in plans using the Optus network but you’re thinking of shopping around, there are similar MVNOs offering Optus network coverage and SIM-only plans:
- Southern Phone
- Moose Mobile
- OVO Mobile
- Coles Mobile
- Jeenee Mobile
Is a Catch Connect mobile phone plan worth it?
Catch, as an online retailer, has exploded in popularity recently, and now you can add mobile phone plans to these offerings. This may look like an odd business choice for Catch, but it seems like it was a smart one. As already mentioned, competing online retailer Kogan also offers phone plans and the two tend to fight it out across all platforms.
Currently, Catch is pretty hard to beat at a number of price points. The availability of long-term plans is also a plus, especially as it’s not a particularly common plan offering from many MVNOs. Catch Connect’s simple plans mixed with lots of data for the price point, mean it’s worthy of consideration next time you’re in the market for a new prepaid phone plan. However, as always, it’s worth comparing to other prepaid providers to see which telco has the best deal for your phone plan needs.
- The Cheapest Mobile Phone Plans
- Top Mobile Deals
- SIM Only Plans Compared
- Excess Data Charges Explained